Friday, November 16, 2007

I need a new word.

For years I have been attempting to find an appropriate description for my relationship with C.

I've lived with C. for four and a half years. We have a dynamic and rewarding friendship. We have a fulfilling (and frequent) sexual relationship. We fight. We bought a house together and we own a dog and three cats. "Boyfriend" doesn't quite do it, does it?

Why isn't he a "husband?" I'm a unrepentant feminist and I don't believe that we should own each other. Some of our dear friends are not allowed to marry the person that they wish. Seems unfair to me. All that, and I've been married twice--hasn't worked very well for me yet.

Other possible terms:

"Significant Other." Definitely something out of a "Cathy" comic strip. Also used frequently by my clients. Doesn't quite cover it.

"Partner." Closer, but since I am a lawyer, people ask me when I quit the public defender's office and started my own practice. Doesn't really communicate the depth of our relationship, does it?

My ability to communicate about this wonderful man is a bit limited. C. has been calling me "My Lady" for years (sometimes with a "darling") added in. It's a bit of that ownership thing, but I really like it. "My Man" or whatever, is just disturbing and repulsive.

So--you can see my issue. What the hell do I call this guy!?

I'd call myself happy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I call mine my unhusband.

Miss Conduct PDX said...

I like it!

Remy, Esq. said...

I have the perfect word. Its what I call my ungirfriends... my "companion"

Its softer on the ear and not as sterile as significant other.